Mmmm… Microwave Bacon!
Yes, although it’s difficult to believe, the word ‘bacon’ can be spelled without the usual ‘Mmmm’ preceding the word bacon. But why do that? Mmmm, it’s so good!
OK, to get to ‘maximum bacon’ in the shortest possible time follow these simple and easy how-to microwave bacon steps:
• Use your microwave oven – it’s not as radical as you think to cook bacon in a microwave.
• Get a microwave-safe plate, or pyrex dish and lay two pieces of paper towel on top of the plate. (One piece of paper towel on top of the other.)
• Lay your bacon strips side-by-side, without any overlap, otherwise; they will stick to each other.
• Place one piece of paper towel on top of the bacon, but don’t pat it down or it will stick to the bacon.
• Using the high setting on your microwave oven, cook the bacon for one minute per slice. (Thicker slices may take a few seconds longer.) Keep in mind that microwave ovens vary in power output so you can adjust the cooking time as required to get the exact crispiness you desire. It doesn’t hurt to check on the bacon partway through the cooking cycle to see if it is done to your liking. Remember that bacon will continue to cook for a few seconds after the microwave stops.
• Before you remove the plate from the microwave, put on the oven mitts – that plate will be hot, hot, hot! Carefully take the plate out from the microwave oven, lift off the top piece of paper towel and voilà! Perfect bacon awaits.
• Using tongs, remove the still sizzling bacon and place the strips on your serving plate.
• Toss the paper towels in the trash, and cleanup is done!
(NOTE: It’s optimum if your microwave oven has a turntable as most newer microwave ovens do. If not, you’ll need to open the door part way through the cooking cycle, put on your oven mitts, and rotate the plate 90 degrees to allow the bacon to cook evenly. Then resume cooking until done.)
Not only will you have the best-tasting bacon using the microwave oven method, but total cleanup time is also reduced to mere seconds. Your bacon will then be perfectly cooked every time with no variation in taste, crispiness, or aroma.
Also, you can cook more than one layer of bacon at a time. Just be sure to place one piece of paper towel between each layer of bacon, and of course, don’t forget to put one paper towel on top to prevent splattering the inside of the microwave — and boost your cooking time. Due to the many different brands and power output of microwaves, you’ll see that it may be an experiment when you try this. A good rule of thumb is to add 20% more cooking time per additional layer, then check it for doneness ¾ of the way through the cooking cycle and adjust if necessary.
Use only microwave approved cookware when cooking bacon in the microwave oven. Also, microwave ovens vary in power, so the first time out check your bacon for doneness at about ¾ of the way through the timer cycle to see how it’s faring. Remember that the bacon will continue to cook for about 20 seconds even after the microwave stops, so you need to factor that into your overall cooking time.
Could it be that the microwave oven was explicitly designed to make perfect bacon for you every time? Once you try it, you’ll think so.
Perfect bacon every time, and practically zero cleanups. It couldn’t be easier!
Unless, of course, you decide to get the bacon cooker for your microwave…
Rachel’s cooking passion began in Paris, France—where she went to school, studied and was on the student president board. While she started by learning how to cook pastries, she quickly found skills in seafood and French food. Now, she loves all things cooking.